WHAT IS THE PELICAN SOCIETY?
We're proud to announce a membership program for parents and teachers who love the CenterForLit approach to all things literary. The Pelican Society exists to encourage its members in their noble work as teachers, to rejoice with them in the privilege of training the young, and to equip them to join the Great Conversation.
Everything in The Pelican Society is intentionally designed to fulfill one of our three foundational purposes:
- To equip parents and teachers with the tools they need to feel confident in their ability to lead students into a love and understanding of literature. We already believe you are capable and that God has given you exactly what you need for your task. However, the confidence provided by continued personal training can fill us with peace and calm as we stand before our students.
- To lighten the burden of a busy teacher or homeschooling parent by providing teaching resources for literary study. Even if you know the method inside and out, sometimes we just need to hold each other's hands up during these crazy days.
- To provide an oasis of grace for all teachers, parents, and readers. There are so many standards to live up to, so many laws to keep. So often we retreat into our loneliness or put up a pretense of success. There's no need for that here. If there's any theme that is more prominent than any others throughout the Great Books, it is the strength that comes from a community founded on common weakness and failure. By reading and talking together about books, our schools, or even the news of our everyday chaos, may we find that true friendship described by C.S. Lewis: "What? You too? I thought I was the only one!"
- Members receive a brand new, never-before-published Teacher Guide every six weeks. Teacher Guides are 20 to 30-page booklets with in-depth notes on a classic story that fully prepare a teacher for Socratic discussion. Some of our most recent titles include:
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
PLUS: In addition to their free Teacher Guide, Pelican Society members may purchase individual guides from our entire library.
Members receive discounts on all of our materials and resources, including Members-only discounts on Online Academy tuition for the upcoming school year.
Members receive exclusive access to our complete Radio Read Along collection, featuring our own recordings of classic books for all ages. Our most recent titles :
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (read by Missy Andrews)
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (read by Adam Andrews)
- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (read by Megan Andrews)
Members receive exclusive access to our Quick Card library, with bullet-style summaries of teaching points for dozens of classic stories. We currently have 50 titles, with more added each week (download a free sample).
Members receive exclusive access to Office Hours, our monthly webinar for homeschoolers. Members get free access to live webinars and can also download all previous sessions from the member lobby. Past titles include:
- "Avoiding the Winter Blues"
- "Teaching Multi-Age Classes"
- "The Tyranny of the Booklist"
Members receive free enrollment in our quarterly Pelican Book Club, featuring live discussions of literary bestsellers. Past book club recordings are available for download to members only, and include Home by Marilynne Robinson and Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.
Members receive exclusive access to the Pelican Forum, our chat room for parents and teachers.
How Do I Join?
Participation couldn't be easier. Simply register, then log in by clicking the navigation link above. You'll enter the Pelican Society lobby, from which you can access every corner of our website.
We'll add resources each and every month, and notify you every time there's something new.
Membership dues are $9.00 per month. You pay with a credit card and cancel any time with a single click.
Sign up for a whole year for $99.oo and receive a month free!